Anantara XishuangbannaMenglun, China
Tucked between banana palms and the curving Luosuo River rests Xishuangbanna’s first five-star retreat. Its elegant design bows to neighbouring Thailand, blending ornate gold and wood with all the comfort of a modern hotel. Built over tranquil ponds and fronting the river, the hotel's spa honours the water revered by the local Dai culture. Select an Anantara specialty or Chinese remedy and melt into your surrounds.
Explore the tropical forests of Xishuangbanna – search for elephants, and visit Dai villages and tea plantations – or stay on site to join a cooking class, Tai Chi or traditional tea ceremony and indulge in some gastronomic delights. Each private villa has its own plunge pool, providing instant relief from the heat, while you can also opt for a cocktail under the shade of a brolly by the central pool and deck.
- The privacy
- Sliding into your own private pool (if you choose a villa)
- The vast selection of cuisine (think local Dai, Thai or European food, with the finest desserts you’ll ever sample)
- The lush gardens surrounding the resort
- Indulging in a massage while overlooking the Luosuo River
- Being in close proximity to the local town, with a market and evening street food stalls
- The price tag
- There’s a fair bit of rubbish dumped on the other side riverbank, within view of the resort
- Not all staff speak English fluently, so communication can be challenging
Anantara Xishuangbanna is a 45-minute drive from Jinghong International Airport.
- King size or twin beds
- Balcony or terrace
- TV and home theatre system
- High-speed internet access
- Spa facilities
- Fitness centre
- Rain shower
- Mini bar
- Private pool (villa)
- Private transportation
- Laundry and pressing service
- Yoga and Tai Chi classes
- Business centre
Rooms from US$242 per night, including breakfast. Extras such as spa, laundry and airport transfers can be added during the booking process.