An ancient fort meets modern luxuryBishangarh, India
Those who’ve travelled around Rajasthan will tell you that around every bend in the road you’ll see an ancient fort. This, after all, was the land where local tribes fought off invaders and each other for centuries. This April, it won’t be that you rock up to one of these mighty structures, take a few pictures and move on. Alila Hotels and Resorts is converting a 230-year-old fort into a luxury hotel, with 59 suites, a wellness centre, pool, four restaurants and a juice bar. Like all Alila properties, there will also be an on-site concierge team organising guest activities, from culinary expeditions to cultural journeys. Plus, the hotel is just an hour from the Pink City of Jaipur.
- Get a sense of place as well as all enjoying all the modern comforts at this unique hotel
- Your Instagram photos from the top of this fort are going to be insane
- It’s the only warrior fort that has been converted into a resort
- Set atop a hill this Alila resort is great as a retreat, but you’ll need a car to get out and about to explore the local area – no popping out for a quick bite to eat here
Fly into Jaipur airport and hire a car for a quick one hour drive to the hotel
- Less than six kilometres off the Delhi-Jaipur National Highway, Alila Fort Bishangarh is easy to reach from both Delhi and Jaipur
- The resort features a pool, a pool terrace and juice bar, a library, a fitness centre, a spa and a ‘Play Soldiers Club’ for kids
- Rooms feature large bay windows & day-beds and can comfortably accommodate parties of up to four
- There are also two specialty themed restaurants, an all-day cafe lounge, a bar and cigar room and a wine cellar all on-site
Double rooms from about US$170 a night.
This hotel will open in April 2017