Jamtara Wilderness CampJamtara, India
Sleep amid prowling wildlife in rural India at Jamatra Wilderness Camp. Pitched right by a forest, this luxury glamping lodge gives guests the chance to get up close to nature with its array of shut-eye options.
Sink into bed in one of 10 luxury tents, snuggle up on your private patio with a hot water bottle to keep you cosy or, best of all, snooze in an alfresco suite. Set on a platform high on stilts, these four-poster beds, known as machaan, offer guests unbeatable star-gazing opportunities under a clear night sky and prime animal viewing come the crack of dawn. Spot deer, leopards and, if you’re lucky, tigers roaming from nearby Pench National Park. After a night out in nature enjoy breakfast back at camp, a daytime safari and afternoon cocktails in the shade of a huge banyan tree.
- Spending a night on a machaan, an alfresco platform where you sleep under the stars – with a guard keeping the wildlife at bay
- Leaving behind city life and discovering rural India
- Sundowners by the huge banyan tree
- It’s remote – there’s no TV or wi-fi
- You probably won’t see as much wildlife as you would on an African safari, but you should see tigers
The nearest airport and railway station is in Nagpur, about 88 kilometres away from the camp.
- Permanent bathrooms
- Mosquito netting for sleeping outdoors
- Hot water bottles
The Jungle Plan, an all-inclusive jungle safari experience, starts at US$565 for two people. Alternatively, the America Plan includes accommodation and meals for two from US$300 per night.
Most of the revenue from a night on a machaan is given back to the local farmers.