Swiss winter wonderlandSaas Fee, Switzerland
It’s a winter wonderland year-round at Saas Fee. Squeezed between the glaciers of the Pennine Alps, this Swiss village is a guaranteed snowfest day in, day out. If you think you’re too cool for school, think again; there are several ski schools on the mountain teaching basic skills through to advanced moves. There’s even a freestyle skiing eld to pick up some new tricks.
Embark on a mountain trek, sail into the sky on the cableway for jaw-dropping 360-degree mountain views or take the world’s highest funicular railway to explore a glacier inside the planet’s largest ice grotto. Whatever you choose to do, remember the village is a car-free zone, so try to conserve some energy for your post-adventure stroll back to your hotel.
- The views could just about be some of the best in the world
- The town is so charming, especially as there aren’t cars
- Most of the runs are at an altitude of 2500–3500 metres so you’ll get great snow most of the time
- Skiing on the glacier in summer
- If you’re an advanced skier you’ll probably get bored quite quickly
There are some very tame runs so it’s an ideal place for beginners.
The town may be car free but there are still taxis and mini busses to get you around.