Wash Away Stress with SurfingMulki, India
Picture a holiday in India and you usually envisage crowded streets, incredible forts and the bustle of daily life, but at the Ashram Surf Retreat near Mangalore, on India’s south-west coast, you'll find an experience far removed from the madding crowd. Take to the water and make the only barrel in your life the one you ride, rather than the one clinging to your waistline.
Choose your fitness weapon – surfboard, bodyboard, wakeboard or stand- up paddle board – and reinvigorate your body in the sun and surf. If you’re a novice, join the surf school and learn to master the swell, or opt for a sea kayaking adventure, snorkelling or meditation and yoga sessions. Delicious vegetarian meals are served twice a day, and you can eat your fill of coconuts and fruit.
- You won’t get bored with the range of daily activities available – yoga, surf school, bodyboarding, snorkelling, jet skiing and wakeboarding
- Hitting the surf without a crowd joining you
- Working up a massive appetite for the delicious vegetarian food
- Changing up your usual beach habits – no bikinis or beer allowed
- There’s no air-con in the bedrooms
- Four basic and comfortable guest rooms
- Fans in bedrooms
- River kayaks free to use
- All equipment, like surfboards, stand-up paddle boards and sea kayaks, available for hire
One night for one person starts at US$38 and includes breakfast, dinner and snacks. Surfboard rental costs US$10 per day or you can get lessons for US$33, which includes equipment.
You will need a basic level of fitness to fully enjoy all the physical activities.
Staying at the resort means adhering to a few rules of the Ashram: no alcohol, no smoking, no sex, no meat and no skimpy clothing (save the budgie smugglers for later).